If you’ve ever caught a whiff of a scent and all of a sudden, you’re thinking of a summer you had 5 years ago you’ll know exactly what we are talking about. Scents that the ability to remind and take us back to a specific time and places that’s because our sense of smell is very closely connected to our memory. If you have a functioning olfactory function you can use this connection to create healthy habits. This is because you can also evoke emotions along with memories.
We are all creatures of habit and we are at our best when we adopt good healthy habits that can increase our productivity.
SMELL, MEMORY AND EMOTION.
The science behind it is smells are first processed by our olfactory, the journey starts inside our nose and runs along to our brain. This journey in out olfactory has a direct connection to two brain areas that are strongly implicated in emotion and memory these are called the amygdala and hippocampus. Our sense of smell is more powerful at triggering memory and emotions that our other senses such as visual, auditory (sound), and tactile (touch) because this information doesn’t pass through these brain areas.
The memories bought up can be quite specific, for example, the smell of fresh doughnuts can take you back to the time you helped your grandma bake for your school bake sale. These moments are also usually unexpected, and attached to a specific emotion, these can be both positive and negative, however, in this instance we want to use our ability to create these connections to hack our habits and use it to our advantage.
Scentered was created to provide a flexible, personalized system of daily rituals specifically designed to support you as you transition from mindset to mindset throughout your everyday journey.
Example daily ritual you can create with our specifically blended range is:
- Start the day using our HAPPY products while expressing gratitude increases your overall happiness, this is a great habit to develop because your mood is closely linked to your productivity so you are setting a great pace for the rest of your day. This could be the head start you need to get all those morning tasks done and dusted as our blend includes grapefruit, lemon myrtle (both known to calm your mood) and spearmint (improve your memory).
- Using ourFOCUS products as you begin your busy day will remind you that you can accomplish great things, even when pressed for time, it can be the trigger to get you into your flow - the perfect mental state. FOCUS can also be a good gym partner, as it has rosemary, mint and clary sage (all known to improve memory, and alertness). It could also be the best natural replacement for coffee for those trying to cut down on caffeine intake.
- Incorporating DE-STRESS as you begin juggling more throughout your day will keep you calm and in control. This can be great to introduce breaks into your day. Letting your mind rest throughout the day is one of the simplest ways to look after your wellbeing.
- When it’s time to shift gears from doing what you “have to do” to do what you “want to do”, ESCAPE transports you mentally to “me time”, whether that’s a yoga class or a good book. ESCAPE is ideal for anyone trying to create a habit that’s all about making time for something you love.
- LOVE is a warm, romantic blend that stimulates the emotions to enhance sensuality and emotional connectivity. For when you want to feel connected to others physically or emotionally. LOVE could be right for you if you want to transition from work mode to spending 1-on-1 time with a family member, and really be able to switch off and give them your undivided attention.
- End your day withSLEEP WELL. Awake well-rested tomorrow by embracing this nightly bedtime ritual to help you drift off into restful sleep. Delivers an alluring blend of lavender, palmarosa and ylang-ylang to relax your body and quiet your mind.
Let us which habit you choose to build for the New Year!